Coda Pickles Sandbox Release

Participate in Coda’s Pickles Sandbox

Coda’s Testnet offers the community to try out the key roles on the succinct blockchain – block producer and snark worker.

• Learn - learn how to operate the protocol and how to stake, while contributing to Coda’s network resilience.
  • Test - testing is valuable for the project’s development, but it is also useful if you plan to run a block producer node on mainnet. You can test your setup and the features now on the testnet.
  • Earn Testnet Points* - complete testnet challenges, get awarded with testnet points* and place yourself on the leaderboard.
  • Genesis Token Program - by staking on testnet and completing challenges, you’re preparing to become one of Coda’s first block producers upon mainnet launch. You’re demonstrating that you have the skills and know-how to operate the Coda Protocol, the main purpose of Genesis.

If you’re as excited about SNARKs as we are, or simply want to be involved in helping realize a truly decentralized financial system, we can’t wait to work with you. Join the Discord server where you can meet the team and other testnet users.

Content

Pickles Sandbox Overview

How do I Participate in the Pickles Sandbox?

Pickles Sandbox Challenges

Help and Support

FAQ

Pickles Sandbox Overview

Due to persistent network layer issues, we postponed the testnet release 3.3, but in the meantime we are launching an interim product, the ‘Pickles Sandbox’, which everyone can run! The Pickles Sandbox leverages Docker, which is an helpful tool to deploy and run a node. Utilizing Docker, you will create a Coda Sandbox, which is essentially a private single-node network on your computer.

If you’re new to Coda, this will be the ideal environment for you to test out core features, and new ones such as the Pickles SNARK , but in a stable environment first, before joining the public testnet.

How do I Participate in the Pickles Sandbox?

To install and run the Coda Sandbox Node using Docker and test out core Coda features such as how to play with tokens on Coda and the new Pickles SNARK , check out this detailed guide here from Coda Technical Community Ambassador Gareth Davies, which explains how to create and mint tokens on Coda.

Testnet Challenges

Learn how to operate the protocol, while contributing to Coda’s network resilience. There are different ways for everyone to be involved:

• Technical Challenges – technical challenges for people who want to try out features of the succinct blockchain
  • Community challenges – these challenges do not require technical skills. Besides testing the protocol, members can also make other valuable contributions to Coda and its community of users through community challenges.

By completing challenges, you will earn testnet points* and a position on the leaderboard. Both categories of challenges are valuable to Coda and its community of users, and will increase your chances to become eligible for the Genesis token program. The full list of challenges can be found here.

Help and Support

If you get stuck or need help, then the best place to ask your questions is on Discord, in the #mentor-nodes channel. Discord is also the place where Coda’s community and team hang out, so feel free to come join the conversation!

The community is also sharing helpful resources, guides, tips and tools on the Coda wiki. Check it out and feel free to add to it if you have something to share that would be useful for other members as well!

FAQ

Can everyone participate in the Pickles Sandbox?

Yes! There is no limit for the number of participants for the technical challenges in the Pickles Sandbox! Everyone can follow the step-by-step instructions to get started!

Do I need to install Docker to participate in technical challenges for the Pickles Sandbox?

Yes, you can install docker. You can also use a cloud machine with docker on it if you don’t want to install it locally. The instructions to set up Coda sandbox docker container can be found here.

Do I need to keep my machine up and running?

Not for the Pickles Sandbox! Normally, uptime is essential for block producers on the network. However, with the Coda sandbox you can start up and turn off your sandbox whenever you like. A big advantage of the sandbox is that it allows you to experience the entire node operating process at an accelerated pace. On a public network with hundreds of nodes, you would create a block for every few days of uptime. On your single-node private network, you will create a block every ~5 minutes.

How do I get testnet tokens to play with?

You will receive testnet funds automatically when you generate a node using the Coda sandbox docker container. The account is funded with 66,000 tokens.

How can I test sending transactions?

You can create multiple accounts and send funds to these accounts. Check out instructions here.

How can I see whether I successfully produced a block?

Staking and performing SNARK work are automatically turned on when you set up the Coda sandbox. If you’d like to (double) check which accounts you’re staking with, you can follow these instructions. Since you own 100% of the stake on your single-node private blockchain, you will win the lottery to produce blocks during every slot and earn all block rewards. To the number of blocks produced on your blockchain, use the command “coda client status” to check the block height.

Why can’t I see any zk-SNARKs being produced?

Coda uses zk-SNARKs to compress the blockchain. In the first few days after you started your Coda sandbox, there is little data to compress, therefore, no zk-SNARKs will be included in blocks.

Is there a block explorer to check the activity on my single-node private blockchain?

No, the existing block explorers (https://codaexplorer.garethtdavies.com/ and https://coda.bitfly.at/ 1) are not connected to your private blockchain. However, you can use the GraphQL API to query information on your blockchain. Here is a 5-minute video that explains how the GraphQL API works — it’s also a very helpful tool to use for building tooling on top of Coda!

Can I test the GUI wallet without Docker?

You need to connect to your wallet to a healthy network. The way that it’s provided now is through the Pickles Sandbox (your single-node private blockchain). The Coda sandbox docker container will help you to spin up the Pickles Sandbox.

Can I turn on/off staking and snark work from the GUI wallet?

Staking and creating zk-SNARKs on your single-node private blockchain are automatically turned on when you spin up your Coda sandbox with the Coda sandbox docker container. As result, you will see (newly minted) Coda appear in your wallet as part of your Coinbase reward and as reward for your SNARK work. However, the features to turn on/off staking and snark work are not added (yet) to the GUI wallet. You can turn it on/off using the CLI (command line interface).

Can I use multiple machines to deploy Coda in docker and create a multiple-nodes network?

That is possible. However, the testnet documentation is focused on helping you to set up the Coda sandbox (single-node private blockchain). You’re free to experiment and play with your sandbox.

• Testnet Points are designed solely to track contributions to the Testnet and Testnet Points have no cash or other monetary value. Testnet Points are not transferable and are not redeemable or exchangeable for any cryptocurrency or digital assets. We may at any time amend or eliminate Testnet Points.
3 Likes