Coda Start up help and Cheat sheet

This document is intended to help those who are interested in getting a Coda node up and running during test nets and beta phases. So here is the steps I take to start up a new node.

• From a fresh ubuntu build if I am using SSH I install openssh-server and client

sudo apt-get install openssh-server
sudo apt-get install openssh-client

• Then run a system update

sudo apt-get update

• Go through the coda install steps

echo “deb [trusted=yes] http://packages.o1test.net/ release main” | sudo tee/etc/apt/sources.list.d/coda.list

• If you had already had an coda instance installed before to run this first

sudo apt-get remove coda-testnet-postake-medium-curves

• VERY IMPORTANT
      • After running the ‘echo’ command run another update

sudo apt-get update

• Install the current officially released version of coda at this time 28Jan2020 the current version is

sudo apt-get install coda-testnet-postake-medium-curves=0.0.12-beta-63b8a66

• VERY IMPORTANT, I understand there are more releases in the repo, but install the above version unless a new version is released, the new versions may not be completed and should only be installed by order of the Dev team.
  • Set up your ports
    • I use IP tables but I know there are many ways of doing this but this works for me. Run the commands to open ports 8302-8303

sudo iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 8302 -j ACCEPT
      sudo iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 8303 -j ACCEPT

• You also need to check your router and do any port forwarding, please understand I can not provide details for this since I don’t know your router, however you can check your port by using this tool. https://www.portcheckers.com/ Your ports have to report as opened in order for the next steps to be correct.
  • Start your coda node for the first time using

coda daemon -discovery-port 8303 -peer /dns4/seed-one.genesis.o1test.net/tcp/10002/ipfs/12D3KooWP7fTKbyiUcYJGajQDpCFo2rDexgTHFJTxCH8jvcL1eAH -peer /dns4/seed-two.genesis.o1test.net/tcp/10002/ipfs/12D3KooWL9ywbiXNfMBqnUKHSB1Q1BaHFNUzppu6JLMVn9TTPFSA

• While your node is starting up we need to prepare for the key import
  • if you have made a key already then skip this step if you need to create a new key then run
    *‘coda client-old generate-keypair -privkey-path keys/my-wallet’
    • Make a directory. NOTE: the term “user” is your PC username do not use “user”

mkdir /home/user/keys
      sudo chmod 0700 /home/user/keys

• Move your private key file to the newly created directory then

chmod 0600 /home/user/keys/my-wallet

• Import your key file to the coda-Daemon
    • Once the key file is in place and the coda daemon is running. (it can be in bootstrap mode to do these) run

coda advance import -privkey-path /home/user/keys/my-wallet

• You should be prompted with a password, then it will ask you 2 more times for a password. Once completed it should report if the key was imported and supply you with your public key. This should match your original public key.
  • Stop your coda-daemon and restart it with the staking command and snark worker

coda daemon -discovery-port 8303 -peer /dns4/seed-one.genesis.o1test.net/tcp/10002/ipfs/12D3KooWP7fTKbyiUcYJGajQDpCFo2rDexgTHFJTxCH8jvcL1eAH -peer /dns4/seed-two.genesis.o1test.net/tcp/10002/ipfs/12D3KooWL9ywbiXNfMBqnUKHSB1Q1BaHFNUzppu6JLMVn9TTPFSA -propose-key -run-snark-worker -snark-worker-fee 1

• Some common errors we have been seeing
    • Long bootstrap times – dev team is working on this just keep you node running and it will sync as long as all the steps above have been correct.
    • Issues with unlocking you keys after importing. – if this happens log in under root and rerun the import functions.
    • Long delay in transactions and block production – again the dev team is working on this hang tight
  • Once all of the above checks out, give us a shout out in the discord channel and let us know your up and running, so we can work out the staking value for your key.
1 Like