Release 2.2: Staking Signups and Public Key Regeneration

Release 2.2 of Coda’s Testnet Beta Phase 2 will begin on October 8th at 2pm UTC-7! Release 2.2 will feature a new challenge (yet to be announced), and will continue the Staking Challenge from Filet Mignon, with a fresh ledger.

In order to be included in the staking challenge, please follow the steps below to regenerate your public key and add it to the genesis ledger:

New users start here:

• Get started on the testnet by following the instructions here.
  • Create a new account on the testnet in this step.
  • Create a GitHub account if you don’t already have one.
  • Continue with the steps below.

Existing users start here:

• Download the public key regeneration utility using Homebrew or APT:
    – Homebrew: brew install codaprotocol/coda/coda-regen-pubkey
    – APT: sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install coda-regen-pubkey
    See below for more details on why this is needed.
  • Run coda-regen-pubkey -privkey-path keys/my-wallet where the filepath is where your keys are. If you followed the docs exactly, this command should work. You will be prompted for your password, and then see the output of your new public key. See below:
$ coda-regen-pubkey -privkey-path keys/my-wallet
Secret key password: 
tdNEHnBvaHrcc7EnHzRxfzvALPRQ1Ht5WHM6S6r7viTuqHmEQmpiQiB6d9L2p7B4sqr4tEhNWXbhXDxMyzjnu8tzZEPY5vbJAPiHyCZ1GuKKMVzVhWteJyBtUJwjDmRNiMDfMV5fmWh6zt
  • Make a Github Pull Request to this file in the Coda-Automation repository, replacing or adding your new public key and Discord Username to the FILET_MIGNON_STAKING_CHALLENGE dictionary. If this step seems challenging for you, ask in the #testnet-general channel on Discord. The team is hanging out over there and is happy to help!
  • Name your Pull Request Staking Challenge: Adding Key for <Discord Username> to report your Public Key to the team.

:bulb: Tip: the Discord server is where the community and the team hangs out, so we’d love to see you over there!
:bulb: Tip: if you get stuck or need some extra help to get connected to the testnet, feel free to reach out to us! We’re happy to help you get started by chatting on Discord, through a live demo, video call, etc.! Reach out to o1christine on Discord to discuss!

FAQ:
Q: My Public Key and Discord Username are in the OBSERVED_COMMUNITY_PUBLIC_KEYS list, do I still need to add it to FILET_MIGNON_STAKING_CHALLENGE ?
A: Yes!

Q: Why do I need to renegerate my public key?
A: Creating a public key / private key pair requires random numbers. The random number generator used in the old key format was taken from an existing codebase. In order to add more security and trust to the new public keys, we resampled the generator in a more publicly verifiable way.

Q: What is this new utility I have to download?
A: It is simply a convenient way to convert your old public key to the new public key – your private keys stay the same. See the code for details: https://github.com/CodaProtocol/coda/pull/3529/files

Next Steps:

• Be ready to set up your Staking Node for Release 2.2 on October 8th @ 2pm UTC-7
  • Good luck!
4 Likes

Completed Pull Request #211 and looking forward to next week challenge…

3 Likes