Testnet Beta Phase 3 - Staking Signups

COMING SOON: CODA TESTNET BETA PHASE 3.2

Coda’s Testnet Beta Phase 3.2 launch has been postponed to Monday, April 20, 2020.

The deadline to sign up to participate in the technical challenges of release 3.2 has passed, but you can still add yourself to the waitlist. See below for signup instructions.

Perks:

200 community members will get the opportunity to stake, become a block producer on Coda’s testnet, participate in other technical challenges for Testnet Points* (see leaderboard), and they will increase their chances to become eligible for the Genesis token program.

Requirements:

• To successfully produce blocks, you need good uptime — your node needs to be online and connected to testnet (if not 24/7, then as much as possible) during the two weeks of release 3.2. We will share testnet documentation with you to help you get connected.

• Block producers who stake their testnet codas are required to connect to testnet and send a transaction within 48 hours after testnet launch. We will share testnet documentation with you to help you get connected, and send transactions on the testnet.

Warning:

If you sign up for one of the 200 spots and are chosen but are not actively staking and participating as described above, then you will receive a penalty of -1000 Testnet Points*, you will not be able to participate in the technical challenges in 3.2, and your stake will be re-delegated to someone on the waitlist for phase 3.2. You will still be able to participate in community challenges.

Active block producers are crucial for the liveliness of a network, and because the number of testnet users are limited in this release, we want to give these chances to truly engaged community members. Therefore, please only sign up for staking if you truly intend to participate.

Signup Instructions

To sign up to participate in the staking challenge and other challenges, you first need to generate your public key. If you are one of the 200 testnet users, then we will delegate stake and send testnet tokens to your public key.

Please follow the steps below to generate your public key and add it to the Phase 3 genesis ledger.

Install

To install the public key generation utility, run the following commands:

On MacOS (using Homebrew):

brew install codaprotocol/coda/coda-generate-keypair-phase3

On Ubuntu 18.04 / Debian 9 (using APT):

echo "deb [trusted=yes] http://packages.o1test.net release main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/coda.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libjemalloc-dev
sudo apt-get install coda-generate-keypair-phase3

On Windows

Although Windows is not officially supported at this time, you can still participate. However, there are a number of ways to open a Ubuntu terminal while using Windows. Go to this wiki page for instructions to set this up, then come back and follow the instructions for Ubuntu.

Generate Keypair

To generate a keypair file called “my-wallet” in the “keys” folder, run this command:

coda-generate-keypair-phase3 -privkey-path keys/my-wallet

You will be prompted for a password, and then see the output of your new public key. See below:

Password for new private key file: 
        Again to confirm: 
        Keypair generated
        Public key: 4vsRCVvoKYTVPKxMtwdQHw5RZqtrrRPQhAjcZwbrUVMiFcyvFPWEiSQsfG31LzJaqoZYJAKSSQaqfwUc...
  • Do not lose this file! You’ll need it again when you start your node when Phase 3.2 begins.

• Report your public key to the team in order to sign up for the staking challenge and other technical challenges by filling in this form.

:bulb: Tip: the Discord server is where the community and the team hangs out, so we’d love to see you over there!

:bulb: Tip: if you get stuck or need some extra help to get connected to the testnet, feel free to reach out to us on Discord!

FAQ

Q: Do I have to resubmit my keypair if I already submitted it in previous testnet phases?

A: Yes, please resubmit!

Q: Do I have to regenerate my keypair if I already have one from previous testnet phases?

A: If you have already used the coda-generate-keypair-phase3 (which was used in testnet release 3.1) to generate a keypair and you still have the keypair file, then you can reuse it for testnet phase 3.2.

Q: What is this utility I have to download?

A: This source of this program is located here if you’d like to build it yourself: GitHub

Next Steps:

• Be ready to set up your Staking Node when Phase 3.2 launches – it is planned for Monday, April 13, 2020, keep an eye on our Discord for more news!

• Good luck staking!

7 Likes
  • downloaded new public key regeneration utility
  • generated new set of keys
  • submitted new public key
4 Likes

After installing i got this error: coda-generate-keypair-phase3: error while loading shared libraries: libjemalloc.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

If u got same error - try this:
sudo apt install libjemalloc1 -y

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing @whataday2day. I received feedback from many community members that your solution worked!

Error on Mac OS:
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/jemalloc/lib/libjemalloc.2.dylib
Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/coda-generate-keypair-phase3
Reason: image not found
[1] 9846 abort coda-generate-keypair-phase3 -privkey-path keys/my-wallet

Solution, install: brew install jemalloc

2 Likes

Looking forward to Testnet beta phase 3.2. Signed up to stake!

Looks good! Looking forward to it