COMING SOON: CODA TESTNET BETA PHASE 3.2b
The ledger for the next testnet release has already been generated! You can still sign up for the waitlist for technical challenges, and participate in all community challenges, which require no registration!
Coda’s next public testnet is planned for Monday June 8th, 2PM PST!
200 community members will get the opportunity to stake, become a block producer on Coda’s public testnet, participate in other technical challenges for Testnet Points* (see leaderboard), and they will increase their chances to become eligible for the Genesis token program.
- To successfully produce blocks, you need good uptime — your node needs to be online and connected to testnet (if not 24/7, then as much as possible) during the two weeks of release 3.2b. We will share testnet documentation with you to help you get connected.
- Block producers who stake their testnet codas are required to connect to testnet and send a transaction within 48 hours after testnet launch. We will share testnet documentation with you to help you get connected, and send transactions on the testnet.
- System requirements to operate a node on the testnet can be found here.
If you sign up for one of the 200 spots and are chosen but are not actively staking and participating as described above, then you will receive a penalty of -1000 Testnet Points *, and your stake will be re-delegated to someone on the waitlist for phase 3.2b. You will still be able to participate in community challenges.
Active block producers are crucial for the liveliness of a network, and because the number of testnet users are limited in this release, we want to give these chances to truly engaged community members. Therefore, please only sign up for staking if you truly intend to participate.
To sign up to participate in the staking challenge and other technical challenges, you first need to generate your public key. If you are one of the 200 testnet users, then we will delegate stake and send testnet tokens to your public key.
Please follow the steps below to generate your public key and add it to the Phase 3 genesis ledger.
To install the public key generation utility, run the following commands:
On MacOS (using Homebrew):
brew install codaprotocol/coda/coda-generate-keypair-phase3
On Ubuntu 18.04 / Debian 9 (using APT):
echo "deb [trusted=yes] http://packages.o1test.net release main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/coda.list sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install libjemalloc-dev sudo apt-get install coda-generate-keypair-phase3
Although Windows is not officially supported at this time, you can still participate. Community members have successfully tried out a number of ways to open a Ubuntu terminal while using Windows. Go to this wiki page for instructions to set this up, then come back and follow the instructions for Ubuntu.
To generate a keypair file called “my-wallet” in the “keys” folder, run this command:
coda-generate-keypair-phase3 -privkey-path keys/my-wallet
You will be prompted for a password, and then see the output of your new public key. See below:
Password for new private key file: Again to confirm: Keypair generated Public key: 4vsRCVvoKYTVPKxMtwdQHw5RZqtrrRPQhAjcZwbrUVMiFcyvFPWEiSQsfG31LzJaqoZYJAKSSQaqfwUc...
- Do not lose this file! You’ll need it again when you start your node when Phase 3.2b begins.
- Report your public key to the team in order to sign up for the staking challenge and other technical challenges by filling in this form.
Tip: the Discord server is where the community and the team hangs out, so we’d love to see you over there!
Tip: if you get stuck or need some extra help to get connected to the testnet, feel free to reach out to us on Discord!
Q: Do I need to sign up again if I already signed up previously for public testnet release 3.2?
A: Yes, please sign up again! Because the testnet slots are limited, we’d like to include as many active members as possible. By signing up again, you let us know that you intend to participate during the two weeks of release 3.2b, starting on Monday June 8.
Q: Do I have to resubmit my keypair if I already submitted it in previous testnet phases?
A: Yes, please resubmit!
Q: Do I have to regenerate my keypair if I already have one from previous testnet phases?
A: If you have already used the coda-generate-keypair-phase3 (which was used in testnet release 3.1 and the previous release 3.2 staking signup) to generate a keypair and you still have the keypair file, then you can reuse it for testnet phase 3.2b.
Q: What is this utility I have to download?
A: This source of this program is located here if you’d like to build it yourself: GitHub
- You will be notified at latest on Friday June 5th whether you’re selected for release 3.2b.
- Be ready to set up your Staking Node when Phase 3.2b launches – it is planned for Monday June 8, 2PM PST. Keep an eye on our Discord for more news!
- Good luck staking!