Testnet Beta Release 3.1 Staking

Become a Block Producer on Coda

Coda’s Testnet offers the community to try out one of the key roles on the succint blockchain – block producer:

• Learn - learn how to operate the protocol and how to stake, while contributing to Coda’s network resilience.
  • Test - testing is valuable for the project’s development, but it is also useful if you plan to run a block producer node on mainnet. You can test your setup and the features now on the testnet.
  • Earn Testnet Points* - stake on the testnet and participate in the staking challenge. The staking challenge will award testnet users with testnet points* and place you on the leaderboard.
  • Genesis token program - by staking on testnet, you’re preparing to become one of Coda’s first block producers upon mainnet launch. You’re demonstrating that you have the skills and know-how to operate the Coda Protocol, the main purpose of Genesis .

How do I stake?

1) Connect to testnet: get started
2) Start staking: instructions
**3) Keep you node running to win opportunities to produce blocks.

Tips and Tools

Many community members shared some useful tips and tools for fellow stakers/block producers:

• Keep your node up in Google Cloud Platform (thanks to @kuka643#9114) - see Discord

• Automatically stop SNARK work when producing block (thanks to @!_thanos) - often, when you win a slot to produce a block, your machine might not have the capacity to both do the SNARK work and produce a block. Therefore, if you run both a block producer and a SNARK worker on the same machine, it’s highly recommended to temporary pause the SNARK work around the time that you expect to produce a block. This is a script that will do that automatically for you - script

• Node Restarter (thanks to @jkrauska#8620) - restarter if your node crashes, see discord

• Script always running daemon (thanks to @windows | Nodeasy#4629 and @tcrypt#3615) - keep your staking node up, see this thread

I want to produce blocks, how can I get some stake?

If you’d like to get some stake, then please send us a message in the #testnet-general channel on Discord. Before the start of each testnet release, users can sign up for staking. However, sometimes there are signups who don’t show up. We can re-delegate stake of inactive users to new users.

Can I still participate in Testnet if I don’t stake?

Yes! There are plenty of other challenges besides the staking challenge, see this thread for a full list of challenges. And you will have a chance to sign up again during next release!

*Testnet Points are designed solely to track contributions to the Testnet and Testnet Points have no cash or other monetary value. Testnet Points are not transferable and are not redeemable or exchangeable for any cryptocurrency or digital assets. We may at any time amend or eliminate Testnet Points.

1 Like