Testnet Beta Release 3.2a Challenges

:rotating_light: IMPORTANT: Testnet Release 3.2a and challenges have ENDED. Stay tuned on Discord or apply for the Genesis token program to get added to the mailing list and receive an notification by email when the next testnet is live.

Coda’s Testnet is a way for the community to test out the network and help to improve Coda. By participating in testnet, you also increase your chances of being eligible for the Genesis Token Program (which awards 6.6% of the protocol to 1000 Genesis Founding Members for being the first block producers upon mainnet launch).

Overview of Testnet:

1. Testnet Challenges - Learn how to operate the protocol, while contributing to Coda’s network resilience.
    • Technical Challenges - For those who want to try out features of Coda’s succinct blockchain. For Release 3.2a, there is no limit to who can participate!
    • Community Challenges - Don’t require technical skills and are a good way to start participating if you’re new to the community.
    • Flash Challenges - Every once in a while, we announce flash challenges where you can earn extra points. Keep an eye on Discord!
  2. Testnet Points* - Get recognized with points* for successfully accomplishing testnet challenges.
  3. Leaderboard - Get a view of where you rank on testnet points* compared to other participants. The leaderboard is also a big factor in the Genesis eligibility selection process.

For more information on specifically testnet release 3.2a, including a FAQ, check out this thread.

Technical Challenges

Challenge #1: Learn to be a node operator 1500 pts* + 500 pts*

The team has published all the necessary documentation to help you get started on testnet release 3.2a “Coda Sandbox”.

After you’ve successfully set up the Coda Sandbox, try out the core functionalities of the protocol:

• create a new account (see testnet docs)
  • send a transaction to that account (see testnet docs)
  • produce at least 5 blocks (use the “coda client status” command to check the block height) — you should produce a block every ~5 minutes.
  • BONUS Send Coinbase elsewhere +500 pts* (good luck with finding clues how to do this!)

To get the points for this challenge you need to fill out this form to submit a screenshot and a txt-file of the entire Coda client status after you completed all above tasks.

Challenge #2: Share your thoughts up to 1000 pts*

Did you try out the new features in testnet release 3.2a and have valuable feedback to share?

Discuss your experiences, suggestions and ideas with other testnet users and the core team on the forum, and let us know about your submission via the forms linked below to get the points*. Well argumented, valuable feedback will be awarded up to 500 pts* (subject to O(1) Labs’s evaluation).

Challenge #2a: Your thoughts on Coda Sandbox

Please provide feedback about your experience with running Coda Sandbox (the single-node private network in the docker container) and interacting with the protocol via coda client and coda accounts and the GraphQL API.

Valuable feedback will be rewarded with up to 500 pts* (subject to O(1) Labs’s evaluation). Examples of good feedback are:
“I was able to build this (…) tooling with the API or CLI” or “I had trouble running this network because of (…)” or "A specific misunderstanding coupled with listed examples of trying: I don’t understand how to list my accounts and I tried coda accounts list"

“Here are some screenshots of parts of the wallet I found confusing”, or “I really like this feature (x), but I wish I could do (y)” or “I figured I’d be able to see (x), but it didn’t show up, here’s what I tried to make it show up (x) but it didn’t work”

Share your feedback with us via this form so we can check it out and award you points accordingly!

Challenge #2b: Your thoughts on Coda Client Javascript SDK
Please provide feedback about the usage of the SDK (namely: genKeys, signMessage, verifyMessage, signPayment, signStakeDelegation).

Also, try sending and receiving tokens from an account created using the Coda Client JavaScript SDK.
Valuable feedback will be rewarded with up to 500 pts* (subject to O(1) Labs’s evaluation). Examples of good feedback are: “This is something I was able to build with the API” or “This function I expected to work this way (example), but it didn’t. I was confused because (reason)”

“I was able to send and receive tokens using the SDK” or “I was not able to use the SDK with my node, here are the specific problems I ran into”

Reminder: Share your feedback on the SDK by filling out this form so we can check it out to award you points!

Community challenges

Temporary Flash Challenge: Node Operator Survey 1000 pts*

Help us get more insights on how the community will access staking on the network, as we prepare for mainnet launch. This survey will contribute to our product roadmap and we will publish the results (in an anonymized way) to the public. Take the survey here.

Challenge #3: Tell A Friend about Genesis

Refer your friends to join Coda and be considered for a Genesis token grant! Our goal is to reach 3000 Genesis sign ups by the end of Phase 3. Your friend needs to sign up for the Genesis token program by following the three steps on this page.

100 pts* per signed up friend. You and your friend can fill in their referrals in this form.

BONUS: 1000 pts* for everyone who referred friends if we reach the goal by end of Testnet release 3!

Challenge #4: Megaphone Community MVP + up to 1000 pts*

Help spread the word about Coda! Create content to help new people understand and encourage them to join and participate in Coda—whether it’s through a blog, videos, podcasts, social media posts, etc. Forums where other node operators, technical enthusiasts or developers are would be the best places to post, but places like Twitter, Telegram, WeChat and Facebook can work as well. The person with the most high quality posts will be a candidate to receive a Community MVP award. Claim your points by letting us know about your posts, blogs, videos, podcasts, etc. here.

Anyone with high quality posts have the chance to earn up to 1000 pts*.

Challenge #5: Community Builders Community MVP + 2000 pts*

Many people have become leaders in the community since Coda’s Testnet Beta launched. We want to keep recognising people who contribute the most to build a robust, decentralised, and collaborative community. With the launch of the Genesis Token Program, we have had an influx of new participants and a crucial way community members can help is by extending their support to any new joiners. Help new members by answering questions, offering guidance, directing them to resources, etc. We can only award points for what we see, so make sure you’re doing it in one of the official testnet channels so everyone can learn, and share your contributions with the community !

We may give out all the awards in a week, or none, or several at each level. The more active the community has, the more awards we can give out in this category. If you feel that a community member should get a Community Builder’s award, also please let us know!

• Platinum — 2000 pts* + Community MVP — went above and beyond, and made substantial contribution to build a robust, decentralised and collaborative community. Awarded in exceptional cases.
  • Gold — 2000 pts*— made a major, or on-going contribution to the community throughout the release. A major standout!
  • Silver — 500 pts*— always there, always helping, always positive.

Challenge #6
: Let’s Meetup Community MVP + 4000 pts*

Get your local Coda community together by organising the inaugural Coda meetup in your area. The leaders in the community who organise the meetup can earn up to 4000 pts* and will be a candidate for Community MVP. Check out a Coda event in the SF Bay Area organized by Greg as an example.

Join the #meetups channel on Discord to collaborate with the community to organize the meetup. Due to Covid-19, we suggest planning the meetup to be virtual. We will be here to support you!

Also join one of these new meetup groups to stay on top of Coda events near your area. We’re starting with the following cities and will add more eventually!

Don’t see your city in this list? Go to the meetup channel on Discord and (start a) vote for your city!

*Testnet Points are designed solely to track contributions to the Testnet and Testnet Points have no cash or other monetary value. Testnet Points are not transferable and are not redeemable or exchangeable for any cryptocurrency or digital assets. We may at any time amend or eliminate Testnet Points.

Some thoughts on Coda Sandbox:
I like that the sandbox urged me to become more comfortable using docker. I thought I would be able to interact with the daemon from outside the container (and wasn’t), but was able to do so with docker exec -it coda bash.
One thing that might make things easier would be the ability to send the coinbase elsewhere on-the-fly. I was able to accomplish it by editing the startup script and restarting the daemon, but it would be nice to be able to do so without restarting.

1 Like

Yeah if the entrypoint script (coda daemon) is stopped so is the container.

Also if you want to check that coinbase flag actually worked properly you can import that custom coinbase account and see its balance growing.

edit: It might actually show the balance from the host as well …

1 Like

also really liked the sandbox approach to play around and try things out. wasn’t able to send the coinbase though. is there a guide somewhere how to accomplish that?

1 Like

Thanks for providing the sandbox for an entrypoint into the Coda ecosystem. I think this was a great approach as it lowers the technical barrier to entry for new node runners and developers and lets us quickly familiarize ourselves with the CLI.

1 Like

I really enjoyed the sandbox mode. It provided an easy way to get familiar to Coda, without it being too overly complicated from a technical point of view. I think sending the coinbase elsewhere was kind of tricky, but eventually I succeeded. I suggest additional documentation on what the coinbase means and how it is done. I also missed the Youtube Video explanation, that we had for the last testnet version.

Regarding docker, I first thought you had to run CLI from the docker itself, but you run the coda lines from your PC terminal connected to the docker. I think this was not described well, but was able to find this info on the docker website itself.

1 Like

I think the sandbox node is a great and easy way to get acquainted with running a CODA node. Maybe it would be helpful to extend the CLI Reference guide to include some relevant Docker commands regarding the daemon. I had a little problem getting my node synced again after I had used it the day before. Apparently an empty epoch was detected which I found out was caused since I had my node stopped for more than a day (1 epoch). Worked fine once I removed it and installed a fresh container.

1 Like

Is the issue with node sync (restart) after missing a day, specific to the sandbox environment, or is also true for the production implementation?
For a core blockchain developer test of a networked environment, this would be limiting, if one wanted to pick-up executing from a “checkpoint” or last known-good position.

A high level explanation of what the term “coinbase” means for a blockchain, per Bitcoin heritage, could fit nicely into a Wiki article, expanding the notion to the specific Coda environment.
Based on the expectations of existing miners, do not see the need to change that setting at runtime.
What will be missed is a .conf file for all the port and address and seed info

1 Like